Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Making Banana Bread


The other day I made banana bread with the kids in my family. Although my family has a functioning oven, I don't know that they have every used it for anything besides storing the beans and tortillas in. When I asked my mom here if she had measuring cups she laughed and said that she thought she got some for her wedding (8+ years ago). The kids were totally excited about making Pan de Banano and each took turns stirring in the flour. It ended up taking close to 2 hours to bake because the oven has high and low settings but no numbers. In addition, everyone in the family had to take turns opening the oven to see how it was coming along. I explained to Marleyne that whenever she opened the oven all the heat would leave and it would take much longer and would not bake as well and she actually understood what I said in my horrible spanish because she told her husband Donaldo not to look in anymore a few minutes later. When the bread was finished we all sat around and enjoyed a piece and the next day the kids asked if we could make banana bread every week, so we now have started a tradition, wednesdays are now banana bread days.

No comments: