Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sumpango Arrival and Host Family

I (kyle) arrived in the town of Sumpango on May 1st. It is a fairly large town in contrast to Santa Lucia with close to 45,000 inhabitants. When I arrived I learned that it was the Dona (mom) of the house's birthday and that there was going to be a fiesta. Above is the family gathered around the table.
My family is great and have really taken me in. Donlado and Mareyley have two little girls, Amanda (8) and Valentina (6) and a little boy, Christian (3). Amanda has already designated herself as my guia (guide) in Guatemala and we exchange spanish and english phrases.
On Sunday the family took me to the town center where the streets close off for the Sunday market and people sell everything imaginable. The colors were amazing as were the fresh fruits and vegetables, many I had never even seen before. I loved that the backdrop for this market was the volcanos which seem to be visible from just about every city I have been to so far. I was also able to watch a traditional wedding ceremony of a couple that couldn't have been more than 16.

After the market we went up into the hills to Donaldo's uncle's dairy. It was pretty interesting to see a small scale commercial dairy operation. We got to feed the calves bottles, watch them give the cows shots and even harrassed this guy a little bit. It was a lot of fun. After this trip all the children crashed on the couch and didn't even get up for dinner. The first weekend has been great and I feel so fortunate to be here in Sumpango.

Add your own caption to this cow. The skin on his neck was my favorite.

No comments: